Are you ready to celebrate? November 3 is National Sandwich Day. What better way to commemorate the day than by eating a sandwich?
Learn all about the meaning behind sandwich day and how you can indulge in a delicious sandwich during work.
What Is the History of National Sandwich Day?
John Montagu, the fourth Earl of Sandwich, has received credit for creating the first sandwich back in 1762. According to history, Montagu requested an easy-to-eat food that wouldn’t stop his 24-hour gambling streak, so his chef prepared a meal with sliced meat between two pieces of toast — which became known as a sandwich. Montagu took inspiration for the meal after seeing the sandwich’s convenience while traveling in the Eastern Mediterranean.
By the Revolutionary War a few years later, the sandwich became a staple in English meals, but it wasn’t until 1815 that the meal came to North America. Now, National and World Sandwich Day receive regular observance every year on November 3.
6 National Sandwich Day Facts
Since the original inception of sandwiches, many unique sandwiches have been created in different regions of the United States, from the Po’Boy in Louisiana to the Reuben in Nebraska.
In addition to the sandwich variations across the country, there are many interesting facts about sandwiches:
- According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, a sandwich consists of 35% cooked meat and more than 50% bread.
- Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were once luxury food only the rich could eat.
- Elvis Presley flew back and forth to Denver to buy a Fool’s Gold sandwich with 8,000 calories. The sandwich has a hollowed portion filled with peanut butter, a jar of jelly and a pound of bacon.
- Some iconic sandwiches have their own national days, like Cheesesteak Day, French Dip Day and Hot Pastrami Sandwich Day.
- You will surely find a distinct sandwich in each region of the United States, whether it’s a lobster roll in Maine, a brisket sandwich in Texas or a Cuban in Florida.
- Elvis Presley is known for his love of peanut butter, fried banana and bacon sandwiches.
Order Corporate Sandwich Catering to Celebrate
Whether you want to celebrate National Sandwich Day or you’re just in the mood for sandwiches, Apple Spice Catering can deliver. We’ve been providing box lunches and catering to corporations and businesses for more than 30 years. When you want convenient, high-quality sandwiches for lunch, we have you covered.
Apple Spice makes bread from scratch daily and uses the finest, freshest ingredients to craft delicious sandwiches for catered lunches. You receive a sandwich, sides and a freshly baked cookie for dessert in every lunch box. Count on us for professional and dependable customer service every time you order catering from Apple Spice.
Celebrate National Sandwich Day with Apple Spice Catering! Order sandwich catering for your next business meeting or event. Learn about your sandwich choices and sides when you contact us today opens in a new window. If you’re ready to schedule catering, you can browse our locations opens in a new window and place your order online.